The Art on Wheels Board of Directors is a hands-on governing body that not only helps our organization develop big picture strategies around growth, engagement of partners and supporters, and our financial health and sustainability - but our members are also expected to be involved in helping us carry out and achieve success at organizational goals.
What can you expect from Art on Wheels?
- A small but mighty staff that is passionate about the arts and helping Art on Wheels become more sustainable and grow.
- High-quality, adaptive art classes that support individuals at our partner organizations.
- Thoughtful community art engagements that help us spread the word of our mission and the joy of art outside the classroom setting.
- Openness to hear our Board Members ideas and willingness to have them help our small crew implement strategies that help us further our mission.
- An accessible, inclusive, and open-minded organization and Board culture.
- Transparency and clear communications.
- Strategic and purposeful meetings.
What Art on Wheels expects from you:
- Advocacy and awareness of our organization and the importance of the work we do.
- Alignment with our mission, vision and values.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and actively engage in the activities that help us further develop initiatives that will help us achieve success at our strategic plan.
- As a working Board some areas of hands-on work can be expected which may include helping us develop communications, plan events, carry out community events, and the work to further develop organizational policies and procedures.
- Engagement in our programs/classes, community art events and fundraising/special events.
- Attendance at and preparedness for Board meetings.
- Concise and thoughtful comments and questions.
- Provide financial oversight that keeps organizational sustainability and comfortable growth in mind.
- An annual contribution that is meaningful to you.
- Help us build a community around our work by introducing us to new partner organizations, communities, donors, board members, etc.
- Vision, creativity, and open-mindedness.
- A willingness to learn and grow with us.
Our Current Strategic Plan Overview
Over the next three years we are committed to furthering Art on Wheels by having the following statements guide us:
- Cultivate an Active Community of Support
- Develop Capacity that Enhances our Capabilities
- Align our Image with our Practice
- Enrich *more* Lives Through Arts
Art on Wheels Board Responsibilities Policy
- Commit to serving at least one three-year term; there is a two-term term limit.
- Create a climate of trust and cooperation in all Board activities.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of Art on Wheel’s strategic mission, organizational structure, programming, and history.
- Advocate for Art on Wheels in the community to build awareness and grow audiences.
- Help us advance our public image and mission
- Guide our financial health.
- Ensure that income is managed properly, assets are guarded, adequate resources are secured to support the organization and its mission.
- Review financial statements, ask questions.
- Make an annual contribution of an amount that is meaningful to you.
- Attend exhibition openings, events, and programs.
- Attend board meetings and retreats; the full board meets 10 times annually.
- Likely 5 in person and 5 virtual, depending on Board geography.
- Typical Board meetings run 60-90 minutes.
- Two of the in-person meetings will be planning retreats and will be a longer time commitment. These will typically be held in the beginning and end of the year.
- Advance notification of your need to be absent from meetings.
- Review materials in advance of meetings.
- Be engaged, ask questions and provide your feedback
- In 2023, help us develop a formalized committee structure that helps advance the work of our Board. Moving forward actively engage in a committee.
- Support our programming, community art events and other special events through participation and/or volunteering. Must attend at least 4 community events/ classes over the calendar year, and volunteer at 1 of those events.
- Help us develop fundraising events, participate in them and encourage friends to support events as well.
- Identify and cultivate new audiences and supporters and help us thank our current supporters.
- Identify and cultivate potential nominees for board membership.